6.04.2009

hmm.

Hmm.

That was the chiropractors response when asking me a series of questions about my labor and delivery with Connor.

Let me back up a bit.

About two weeks ago we found ourselves once again in the pediatricians office with another ear infection. Words such as 'chronic' and 'tubes' were definitely spoken so we just were hoping that the latest prescribed antibiotic would do the trick.

In the mean time, and actually prior to, I've spoken to more than one mom that has told me about amazing results from going to the chiropractor. (insert leery, skeptical face here) So, we did our ten days of antibiotics again and after two days being off, he woke up to having mattery eyes. UGH. So, I called the chiropractor and made an appointment for yesterday.

So we go into his little office where he asks me some questions, some of which included:

Were you induced?
Yes.
Hmm....

Why? Were you overdue?
No.
Hmm....

Was labor long and somewhat difficult?
Yes.
Hmm...

Were forceps or a vacuum used?
Yes.
Hmm....

Literally, that's how part of the conversation went. So, he showed me on his little spine model what could be going on, tells me how he actually adjusted two of his daughters in the delivery room before cutting the umbilical cord (eek, scary!).

Sorry this post is getting really long.

So, we go back into the room where he checks Connor out, said his ears weren't necessarily infected anymore but they were still full of fluid. So does a little more prodding around (Connor did awesome) and then told me he was going to try and adjust him. I've personally never been adjusted, but have seen it done, and truly, did NOT expect him to do that with a little kid. I seriously felt like he was going to twist his head off. BUT...again, Connor did spectacular. Didn't even get close to crying. Just kept looking at the chiropractor. I on the other hand, was MUCH more freaked out and shocked at what I just let happen to my child. BUT...it couldn't have been even remotely bad since Connor didn't give any indication of being in pain or freaked out or anything. Must be okay, right? :):)

That said, we went back today for round 2, said his ears had already started draining, only had to adjust one side and off we went. Said this could ultimately help with his runny noses and everything. Down side...he wants to see Connor 3x a week for three weeks (one of which will be done after we go again tomorrow morning), 2x a week for 2 weeks and 1x a week for 4 more weeks. That's A LOT...but...I don't know. I think I'm sold on it so far. If an infection comes back I guess during the course of this treatment, maybe then I'll decide to go back to the pediatrician for it and explore our next option.

Again, sorry for such a long post, but that's about all I have new to report the last few days.

4 comments:

Erin Wiegratz said...

that's really interesting...I've never thought about a toddler being adjusted but hey...sounds like it might work!

Erin C said...

I have also heard of this for ear infections in kids. I was adjusted for my first time ever a few months ago... had never even seen what they do so I was in shock at first. But it did not hurt at all and I have had much improvement with back pain during this pregnancy. Not going to say I am full blow believer yet, but it does seem to work :)

Jen said...

I've heard of this too. A lady Cullen works with swears it is what did the trick for her little guy. Too bad we heard about it too late after we already did tubes for Avery, but good luck and I'm anxious to hear how it goes!

Luscomb Family said...

Who did you take him to? I was thinking of taking Ashlyn, but wasn't sure where to go in Mankato.