4.17.2008

Isn't he cute?

Okay, obviously I'm a little biased since I'm his mom, but we put clothes on him tonight for the first time and he just looks so studly :)





Nursing is not going well at all really. We've tried three different times, each time seems to get a little better, better in the sense that he's not screaming anymore, but still not really eating. So, we try nursing for about 10 minutes, then we bottle feed him. The lactaction nurse came around the second time we tried and seemed shocked and disappointed that I let them bottle feed him, which obviously made me feel terrible. The alternative is a feeding tube, and I am just so sick of tubes in him, plus, he can't come home with a feeding tube. So, one nurse said there's really no way he's going home tomorrow, but there seems to be some communication confusion we learned as Dr. Hoekstra had told us as long as he eats and poops like a good little boy for a 24 hour period, he can come home. So, our night nurse is at least prepping him for discharge tonight. We have lowered his bed to flat instead of elevated, put clothes on him and turned off his warming lights, just trying to simulate the environment he'll be in when we get him home, make sure he can regulate his body temp, etc. So this is all good. The plan for the rest of the night will be to head in there every 3 hours, try and nurse, and then if that still doesn't work each time, we'll bottle feed him. I know, I know, you're not supposed to bottle feed if you're planning on breast feeding, but at this moment in time, I want him home. Once we're home in a much more relaxed environment, we can really try hard at it. So, we'll see.

8 comments:

Minnesota Girl said...

don't beat yourself up about the breastfeeding issues, and don't let the lactation nurse make you feel guilty. obviously you are in extreme circumstances here. number one priority is getting your little boy home! you are already an amazing mom, as anyone reading this blog knows!

Anonymous said...

So what's wrong with a bottle? I remember trying to get Matt off the breast and onto a bottle when I had to go back to work and that wasn't fun! So... do what you have to do to bring that little one home where you can both relax and enjoy each day as it comes!
Love you all,
Rita

Anonymous said...

Well, I think he looks pretty studly in his little outfit too! So cute. About the feeding thing, ya gotta do what ya gotta do to get him to eat whether its bottle or nursing. Obviously you want him eating by himself, not a tube. Mom's know best so what you are doing is right and don't let them make you feel bad. I hope he is still on track for homeward bound this weekend sometime. Mom and dad probably are ready to have their own bed back too! Keep up the good work Connor!
Krista and Brandon

Anonymous said...

Connor looks very cute in his new outfit! He looks like a completely different baby in clothes! Don't worry about the lactation nurse...you and Connor will figure it out and do what is best for both. Right now...milk from a bottle is better than no milk at all!!

Take care!
Allison

Anonymous said...

My goodness, Connor is so handsome:-) He does look different in clothes, doesn't he?
We hope that you are able to go home on Friday, regardless of how Connor is getting his nourishment.
If I remember correctly, Teri had a lactation nurse that was brutal. One of the boys just could not get the hang(:-)) of the situation , at all. I think they are the Colonel Klink's of the nursery. Not really, but .... we wish you safe travel tomorrow and good times in your own home, at last.
Mary and Roger

Anonymous said...

Sorry, but I can't go to bed without one more comment! You may remember I told you my attempt at nursing story with Megan and how terrible that one nurse was?! The story ends, as you may remember, with me bringing her home, giving her a bottle because the breast feeding thing just didn't work, and Megan looking up into my eyes instead of screaming. That's what I call bonding! I have had so many friends say it worked perfectly the first time and they weren't even super serious about breastfeeding. So.......in my opinion, if it works, great! If it doesn't, still great! I still miss holding my kids and feeding them their bottles!
Love, Annie

Anonymous said...

Connor is absolutely adorable.

And the breastfeeding....I know you've already had too many comments about it but....if it doesn't work, if you don't like it, whatever....don't feel like you have to make excuses for not doing it. It may be that Connor NEVER likes breastfeeding. So be it. Pumping and feeding from a bottle are the same thing as far as Connor is concerned.

Good luck this weekend. Don't fret if you have to stay one more day. I can't believe it's been just over a week since Connor was born! A lot has happened.

Take care. Hope to see you all soon.

Love from,
Auntie Nancy and Uncle Mark

Anonymous said...

Connor looks so adorable in that picture! Forget about being a chic magnet when he gets older! I'm sure he's already got a lot of chiclets checking him out at the hospital right now! :)

Love you guys,

Amanda